10/08/2009

Falling in love with Sony (Chapter 2)

I've always wanted a fancy schmancy professional camera, and I believed with all my heart that my base little DSLR would be the fanciest camera in the world.

Of course I was aware of all these much more expensive and much more high end cameras, but my meagre A100 was huge for me. I still look back on it very fondly.

As soon as I had gotten it, I couldn't wait to rip open the box, avoid reading the manual. I pressed buttons like it was the end of the world, and only I could save it by.. well.. pressing buttons. Unfortunately for my grandmother, she was visiting at the time when I had a huge camera frenzy.. which I still do, but in a much more mature manner.

I took this image of her watching television. One of my first images with my first DSLR. Oh, this is going back a few years!

It's not a perfect image as anyone can tell, it lacks contrast, the tones are too grey, and a landscape oriented portrait? What was she thinking!

I wasn't. I was so excited by this camera. It was probably one of my favourite moments in my life. I never thought I'd say that about something so consumeristic. But alas, Sony owned me from then on. Everything had to be Sony. I scoffed at the Canon owners, the Nikon users, the Pentax lovers. I had a DSLR that no one in their right mind would buy!

I loved the elitist feeling that Sony gave me, I felt special with its bright orange alpha logo, and it's sleek silver finish. All other cameras were black, monotonous and seemed so serious, but my Sony was bright, it was silver and sparkly and shiny and beautiful. It had dials and buttons and dials and even more buttons. Auto focus, manual focus, ISO adjustment, aperture adjustment... full manual mode!

No other digital camera I ever owned had it's own lenses! Unscrewable, rescrewable, interchangeable beauties. I was a starving 4 year old in Thorntons with leave to eat whatever I wanted. And I gorged myself on this camera. I took it everywhere. It was huge and heavy, it made my neck hurt and my arms hurt and for a considerable amount of time, it looked like I was winking because my face wouldn't return to normal!

I was in my honeymoon period with my precious Sony...

No comments:

Post a Comment